Children who show any visible signs of illness should not be allowed into the classroom. When addressing this issue with parents, assure them that we want their child in Startown as soon as they are feeling better. If you continually have a problem with a sick child, enlist the help of your Coach. If an illness is discovered after a child is in the classroom, remove the child from the other children and ask your Coach to locate the parents.
Upon the recommendation of the Committee on Control of Infectious Diseases of the American Academy of Pediatrics, a child should not be taken from the home when any of the following conditions exist:
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Any symptoms of childhood diseases, such as scarlet fever,
- German measles, mumps, chicken pox, cough, strep throat, flu, etc. or any other infectious or contagious disease.
- Common cold from onset through one week
- Sore throat
- Fifth disease
- Any unexplained rash
- Pink eye or other eye infections (All eye infections are contagious. The child must be on medication for 24 hours and not exhibiting any symptoms before returning)
- Cloudy or green runny noses or persistent cough
- Any communicable disease
We require that a child be free of fever for 24 hours
When in doubt, please apply the “Golden Rule”. Adherence to this policy is important to protect the health of all children in our care.